While there are plenty of midsize luxury SUVs on the market, the Audi Q5 has been the apple of the eye of most buyers. It sits between the smaller Q3 and the seven-seater Q7. The 2015 Q5 has a smaller footprint making it easy to drive in the city but also provides a sumptuous cabin that can comfortably seat five.
2015 Audi Q5 starts at $36,795 and has everything you are looking for- spacious and premium cabin, plenty of creature comforts and safety features. That being said, the 2015 Audi Q5 is one of the most versatile SUVs in the market. It competes with the likes of the BMW X3, Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class, and Volvo XC60.
German carmakers have a bulletproof reputation for making safe and reliable vehicles, and the 2015 Audi Q5 is no exception. Q5 is based on the Volkswagen MLB platform and comes with fully galvanized steel and aluminum unibody chassis. And it has its merits. It is lighter and stronger and provides better protection during accidents by absorbing the energy. In terms of braking, the Q5 comes equipped with 12.6-inch ventilated disc brakes at the front and 11.8-inch solid disc brakes at the rear. The brakes feel responsive and have good thermal tolerance. And the vehicle stops from 60 mph within 111 feet when the brakes are slammed. Moreover, the brakes are supplemented with ABS, EBD, ESC, ASR, and brake assist.
In addition to these, the cabin is equipped with dual-stage airbags for the driver and front passenger, thorax side airbags, and curtain airbags. The rear passenger also gets thorax side airbags. Standard safety features include cruise control with stop and go function, hill descent control and automatic xenon headlights as standard. Adaptive Cruise Control, Side Assist, park assist, and a rearview camera are available as options. Moreover, it received a 4-star rating from NHTSA and "TOP SAFETY PICK+" award from IIHS.
2015 Audi Q5 Key Safety Features
- Adaptive Xenon headlights: They work in unison with the vehicle’s steering, speed, and elevation to illuminate the road ahead according to the vehicle’s path. If the vehicle moves right, the headlights tilt towards the right to illuminate the road ahead.
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC): This system helps the driver cruise at a preset speed and also maintain a safe distance with the car in front while driving on the highway; it can also apply the brakes and speed back to the preset speed if necessary.
- Audi Side Assist: It is a combination of a blindspot monitor and a rear cross-traffic alert. This system uses radar to monitor the blind spots and provides a visual warning if a vehicle is detected in its proximity while the driver is changing lanes. It also comes in handy while entering or exiting a parking lot.
- Parking System Plus with Rearview Camera: Also known as Park Assist, it uses radar and proximity sensors to alert the driver of his or her surroundings. Moreover, the rearview camera provides a panoramic view of the path behind while parking.
- Tire Pressure Monitor: It uses pressure sensors to monitor the air pressure inside the tires and alerts the driver if the pressure falls below a predefined limit.
Audi Q5 is one of the best packages in the segment. And this year, the Q5 has surpassed our expectations. It has bagged the Top Safety Pick+ title and an overall Good rating from the IIHS. That being said, if you are looking for a premium midsize SUV and safety is your top priority, the 2015 Audi Q5 makes sense.