The premium midsize SUV class is the most competitive in the entire industry because they combine the best of everything in a pocket friendly package. While there are many companies with their best premium midsize SUVs on the market, German automakers reserve a special spot for their engineering marvels. Along those lines, 2017 Audi Q5 has been a star performer for the brand.
2017 Q5 is a versatile SUV, and as you expect from a premium SUV, it looks sleek and modern, comes with a tech rich and posh cabin, practical cargo space and, most importantly, it is safe and reliable. 2017 Audi Q5 comes with a starting price tag of $41,850 and competes with the likes of Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class, BMW X3, and Volvo XC60.
Audi enjoys an impeccable reputation for maintaining the highest standards in the manufacturing process. 2017 Audi Q5 is based on Volkswagen MLB platform and comes with a fully galvanized steel unibody chassis. Q5 is one of the heaviest SUVs in the class, and its heavier curb weight means a higher COG. As standard, the chassis comes equipped with five-link suspension at the front and trapezoidal-link suspension at the rear. Body roll is minimal. Moreover, driving dynamics are great in the city and it is stable while taking sharp turns. But the ride quality is a little firm. So, Audi provides adaptive suspension as option and this provides even better stability and a smoother ride.
You also get one of the best sets of brakes in the segment. The 2.0T variant comes equipped with 12.6-inch ventilated disc brakes at the front and 11.8-inch solid disc brakes at the rear. The 3.0T variant comes equipped with 13.6-inch ventilated disc brakes at the front and 13-inch ventilated disc brakes at the rear. Moreover, the braking system is supplemented with ABS, EBD, ESC, ASR, and brake assist. Apart from the above, the cabin is equipped with dual-stage airbags for the driver and front passenger, thorax side airbags, and curtain airbags. Rear seat side airbags is available as a standalone option. Standard safety features include cruise control with stop and go function, hill descent control, and automatic headlights. Adaptive Cruise Control, Side Assist, and Park assist with a rearview camera are available as options.
2017 Audi Q5 Key Safety Features
- Adaptive Xenon Headlights: They work in unison with the vehicle’s steering, speed, and elevation to illuminate the road ahead according to the vehicle’s path. If the vehicle moves right, the headlights tilt towards the right to illuminate the road ahead.
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC): It is an optional driver assistance feature in the regular Q5 but comes standard in the SQ5. This system takes the help of cameras and radar to cruise at a preset speed and also maintain a safe distance with the car in front while driving on the highway; it can also apply the brakes and speed back to the preset speed if necessary.
- Audi Side Assist: It is a combination of a blindspot monitor and a rear cross-traffic alert. If the system detects a vehicle approaching from the side or behind, the driver is notified by audio or visual warnings. This feature comes in handy while driving in the city or parking in tight spaces.
- Park Assist with Rearview Camera: It uses radar and proximity sensors to alert the driver of his or her surroundings. Rearview camera provides video footage to help the driver park the vehicle safely.
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System: TPMS consists of a sensor that continuously monitors the air pressure inside the tire. If the air pressure falls below a predefined limit, the system will notify you with visual or audio warnings.
2017 Audi Q5 is one of the best premium mid-size SUVs currently available on the market when it comes to safety. It has excellent safety scores and moreover, it bagged the Top Safety Pick+ award this year, which speaks for itself. It also comes equipped with a practical set of driver assistance features that will help you take evasive measures in an emergency. That being said, the Audi Q7 is a great choice if you are looking for a premium 5-seater SUV that not only provides tons of features but safety as well.