The Buick Encore is the smallest child in the carmaker’s stable that combines American luxury in a bite-sized offering. The compact SUV starts at $23,000 and brings in a luxury seen in much more expensive cars like the BMW X1 and the Audi Q3. The Encore has won many hearts in the market and has seen steady sales but also comes with its set of issues. The most commonly reported issue is about overheating of the engine due to a loose turbocharger hose. Apart from this, the crossover gets a lot of criticism for the many electrical issues and niggles one has to endure. The Encore sees no recalls for the 2018 model year but does that mean a positive turn of events? Let’s find out.
2018 Buick Encore SUV Problems, Issues, Complaints, Recalls, and Which Year to Avoid
Updated on: April 27, 2022
More from Buick Encore
Find a used Buick Encore for under $13950 | Check out price savings and popular options here!
Buy a new Buick Encore for sale starting from $18390 | Check out the latest deals here!
2018 Buick Encore Exclusive Interior and Exterior Pictures | View latest Pictures
2018 Buick Encore Problems
- Wiper problems: People have reported the wiper gutters filling with elements and causing an error in the functioning of the wipers. Some people have faced this error while driving in low-visibility environments. Such malfunction affects visibility and increases the risk of a crash.
- Battery issues: The Encore battery issues have been there for eons and nothing much has been communicated from the manufacturer in this regard. People have faced complete battery drain when the car is not in use for a couple of days. There have been battery malfunctions when the car is moving. In a handful of cases, faulty terminals have also resulted in an electrical fire.
- Headlight issues: The headlights in the Encore are very unreliable and turn off without any input. Frequent fluctuation in the light’s intensity is another problem Encore owners face. Some complainants state that the lights started flickering and reducing visibility to nil.
- Speaker issues: The speakers in the Encore aren’t up to the mark and give a lot of issues in under a year of ownership. There have been numerous complaints of the volume fluctuating when switching between FM and XM. There is distortion if audio is played from the connected phone. Some people have also reported popping sounds coming from the speakers at volumes higher than half, causing headaches on drives.
- Turbo hose malfunctions: A rather common occurrence with the 2018 Encore owners is the turbo hose coming loose automatically. People report the car overheating due to this and stalling, even on busy highways. The affected units are towed to the dealers where a new hose is installed, if available. There are numerous reports where the part is on backorder and no remedy can be availed. People have reported the car to turn into a fireball if the issue turns for the worst.
- Faulty start/stop button: The main reason for Emcore engine stall issues has to be a faulty start/stop button. There have been numerous complaints about the car stalling and not starting due to this, causing a major inconvenience for all the motorists around.
- Vacuum pump failure: Some people have experienced brake vacuum pump failure which zeroed down the braking of the car. The issue has, thankfully, surfaced at low speeds and has not resulted in any crashes or casualties yet.
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) failure: Some people have experienced a complete failure of the ABS in the 2018 Encore. Such failure locks up the wheels under emergency braking and might result in loss of control. Upon investigation by the dealers, the ABS sensor was found to be the culprit and was replaced promptly.
- Driver-side blind-spot warning malfunction: The blind-spot monitor on the driver’s side is reported to fail and gives no warnings if a vehicle is there. This failure has resulted in the Encore hitting/scraping the vehicle in its blind spot. Thankfully, no collisions have been reported yet.
- Airbag deployment: Non-deployment of the airbags is a rampant issue in the 2018 Encore and is communicated to the manufacturer as well. People have reported collisions that had injured the occupants due to this issue.
2018 Buick Encore Recalls
Currently, there are no recalls for the 2018 Buick Encore.
Should you buy the 2018 Buick Encore?
The 2018 Buick Encore is a very lucrative package for someone who needs poshness at a low price. As a result of this, some corners are cut and clearly visible with the issues popping up. The compact SUV is an electrical nightmare with small niggles popping up every now and then. The turbo hose malfunction is another serious issue that is further aggravated by the backorder times. Though engine fires aren’t common, people have had to go through the massacre due to the battery and the turbo-hose overheating. If you want to go for an Encore, proceed with caution and have a hands-down approach to tackle the electrical issue. We don’t recommend a used Encore since the older batches might have a lot of niggles that will ruin the ownership.