For 2018, the compact SUV receives a major upgrade in terms of design, features, and performance. The 2018 Chevrolet Equinox has been slightly downsized structurally when compared to the previous generation, fitting well among competitors like the Hyundai Santa Fe, the Kia Sorento, and the Subaru Forester. The SUV is powered by a turbocharged 1.5-liter 4-cylinder engine across all the trim levels and starts at a price of $23,580. The Chevrolet Equinox can accommodate a maximum of 5 occupants but the smaller body for this year takes away some cargo space. The initial batch of the 2018 models had slight structural integrity issues, leading to a negatively affected NHTSA rating but Chevrolet rectified the flaws and now roll-out a much safer and strong Equinox out of the assembly line.
The updated GM D2XX platform that the new Equinox is based on has proved itself to be structurally sound but things didn’t start off on a great note. The cars that were manufactured before February in certain factories had fewer welds in the rear doors and lacked a foam block, affecting the overall safety of the occupant during a crash. However, Chevrolet worked on this issue and made the Equinox better, leaving the car with good overall ratings from both NHTSA and IIHS. There are other cars in this segment that provides advanced active safety equipment across all trims or on all but the basic trim level. However, the Chevrolet offers a forward-collision warning with emergency braking and active lane control only with the Confidence and Convenience Package II which cost an additional $1,895 over the sticker price.
The Equinox comes with bright HID headlights on the LT model. The reverse camera comes standard on all trims while the LT has an optional package that adds rear parking sensors and blind-spot monitors with rear cross-traffic alert. The Premier model features a surround-view camera system that is part of an optional package exclusive only for this trim. A commendable effort from Chevrolet is that they’ve included a Teen Driver technology as standard equipment on the equinox, letting the parents program the car to limit certain features and prevent the deactivation of any safety equipment.
What features make the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox safe?
- Teen driver – It’s a built-in system that coaches young drivers to develop a safe habit when they are behind the wheel. The system also produces a report card for the parents following a teen’s use of the family vehicle.
- Blind-spot monitor – The system keeps an eye on the space just off the rear quarter areas of your vehicle. These blind spots can hide a vehicle approaching an adjacent lane.
- Rear cross-traffic alert – This comes as a part of the blind spot monitor where the system notifies the driver of an approaching vehicle while trying to reverse the car. The system analyses both the left and right sides to detect any cross-traffic.
- Low-speed automatic braking – The system applies brakes on its own when it detects a possible chance of a head-on collision. The downside to this system is that it works only when the car is at a slow speed.
- Reverse camera – A reverse camera comes standard on this car across all trims to give the drivers a clear view of what’s behind the car.
Is the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox safe?
The Chevrolet Equinox does a rather good job in terms of the safety it has to offer. Both the NHTSA and IIHS reports show the car to be safe even though there is a slight setback in certain areas. The Chevrolet Equinox holds a decent list of safety tech and assures to carry the occupants securely with its intelligent driver-assist tech. Unfortunately, the majority of features are reserved for the higher trims and optional packages while keeping the base trim raw unlike the competitors, who offer safety tech all across their trim levels. The 2018 Chevrolet Equinox is definitely a safe car but it isn’t the best when compared to its rivals.
Important 2018 Chevrolet Equinox Links:
More from Chevrolet Equinox
Find a used Chevrolet Equinox for under $7795 | Check out price savings and popular options here!
Buy a new Chevrolet Equinox for sale starting from $21990 | Check out the latest deals here!
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Exclusive Interior and Exterior Pictures | View latest Pictures