One of the uncrowned kings of the compact sedan segment, the 2020 Honda Civic is a car beloved by many. It now comes with a range of active safety features bundled under the Honda Sensing package standardized for all trims. This car is always promised excellent fuel economy, a spacious cabin, great driving behavior, and a wide range of convenience features. Organizations like the IIHS and NHTSA have always praised it due to its safety quotient as well. Starting at an MSRP of $20,995, the sedan is arguably value for money and gives you enough in a small package in the segment with cars like the Toyota Corolla, the Mazda 3, and the Hyundai Elantra.
In terms of safety, Honda has always made sure that the Civic gets a good hand. Apart from providing a robust body structure that has intelligently designed, crumple zones, and side-impact structures, the car also provides excellent braking and handling. It famously uses high-tensile materials to ensure that the forces are efficiently absorbed and dispersed in the event of a crash. Since last year, Honda has also made the Honda Sensing safety suite of features standard across the lineup.
This makes it stand apart in a generous helping of safety features as standard like forward-collision warning, lane change assist, cruise control, collision mitigation braking, road departure mitigation, and anti-lock disc brakes. Honda has also engineered the basics properly like providing good visibility for the driver. The car also comes with advanced two-stage airbags for the driver and passenger, front-seat side airbags, side-curtain, knee airbags, and so on.
What features make the 2020 Honda Civic safe?
Coming with the most extensive list of safety features, owners are often clueless as to what these features exactly do. Providing these features at this price point is something 2020 Civic owners can take pride in. Some of the more interesting features are explained below.
- Lane keep assist system: The primary aim of the lane keep assist system is to make sure that the car does not steer out of the lane it is traveling in. To ensure this, it sounds warnings and can also take control of the steering to make sure you stay in line.
- Automatic high-beam headlights: Another great feature in this car are the headlights that are controlled automatically.When used in this setting, it will turn on the high beams if there are no vehicles ahead and lower them when the car is detected on the opposite lane so that their vision is not obstructed.
- Anti-theft alarm system: The anti-theft alarm system makes sure that car thieves cannot get hold of your precious vehicle. When unauthorized access to the vehicle is detected, the car can give an alert to the driver using an alarm and also through the connected car technology employed by Honda.
- Adaptive cruise control: Adaptive cruise control is a feature that takes a lot of effort from the driver and also keeps the car very safe. When the system is engaged, the car can detect the vehicle in front of you slowing down and can even stop your car completely if the vehicle ahead does so. It then resumes the set speed without the driver needing to intervene.
- Collision mitigation braking system: The CBMS system employed by Honda make sure that your car does not get into an accident if the car ahead comes to an abrupt stop. It can take complete control of the brake system and prevent a collision.
Is the 2020 Honda Civic safe?
The Honda Civic is not just an economy car that has good driving dynamics, great interiors, and sporty looks. It is a car meant for families and hence, Honda has engineered enough technology to keep occupants safe. We would go out on a limb and say that it is one of the safest cars in its category and one we would wholeheartedly recommend to our readers. It is quite popular among buyers too, given the popularity of variants like the 2020 Honda Civic Sport Touring.